Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Harlem during The Great Depression

Mostly I remember the people being put out in the streets, those who couldn't cope, and I remember passing by and looking at belongings on the streets. I was just standing there and having this thing sink into me that people were in the streets because they couldn't pay the rent and wondering will that ever happen to us.


I remember once a man came by he was talking to himself, he's looking at all these things in the streets, and then he went up a few blocks and he shot himself. I remember seeing two people take something like an oil cloth and cover up the people's bed and things that were in the streets, I don't know why that happened but the sheriffs could put you in the streets, so that the things wouldn't get wet in the rain. 
I remember my mother helping a neighbor, lending them food, baking stuff and taking next door to somebody. Those were the times that there was no television, we didn't have a radio, people came to your house, the children entertained.


SOURCE:

No comments:

Post a Comment